Teen Homeschool Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate the Song Above You

+3
Eppie
Starry
Sarent
7 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Rate the Song Above You - Page 5 Empty Rate the Song Above You

Post by Sarent Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Okay, so the idea for this topic is simple (and also a ripped-off forum game, but whatever).

Numerically rate the song posted above you, and give a brief reason for your rating. Then put a song (i.e. its name, you can't append an actual song) at the end of your post, and the next person will rate that one.

A few additional guidelines:

• If the song you post is particularly obscure, it's recommended you suggest where to look for it, or that you give a link.
  • No reposting a song you've posted before unless it's been 5 months or more since you last posted it.
  • Base your ratings entirely on the song, and try to avoid bias based on the artist or who posted the song.
  • Listen to the entire song. Find the most complete version you can and follow it through to the end; some have hidden bursts of noise.
  • Don't feel the need to take offense at any ratings! Tastes and listeners are diverse, and so are different takes on the same song.

So off we go. I'll start: "Sticky Thread" by Local Natives.

(Yes, that is a song. Yes, I always start my "Rate the Song..." topics with it. If you don't get the double meaning I suggest thinking about how it relates to a forum. Rate the Song Above You - Page 5 253468018)

Last edited by Sarent on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Rate the Song Above You - Page 5 Empty Re: Rate the Song Above You

Post by Sarent Tue 07 Jan 2014, 11:26 pm

5/10.  I just find it hard to like too much... or too little.  Vocal-driven songs are subjectively not my thing, and semi-objectively the vocals here do not seem distinctive.  It's also repetitive, and the electronic percussion is blatant.  I suppose the lyrics are the thing, and though they apparently have some meaning to them, I have to repeat that the song is repetitive, which actually doesn't make the same lyrics better over again.

"Falling" by Malory.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Thu 09 Jan 2014, 11:29 pm

8/10. The first burst of sound actually made me jump. I enjoyed the dramatic, faraway sound of the song. Also, I'm a sucker for fully instrumental songs. XP

"Cause" by Rodriguez.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

https://teenhomeschooltalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Fri 10 Jan 2014, 3:52 pm

5/10.  The quiet guitar is nice but nothing special; the vocals are far, far louder, and don't even attempt to match up with the other instruments; and then there're random orchestral swells.  It's like some old mediocre song SUDDENLY with a spoken-word pseudosinging tale over top.  Basically this seems to be a way of making a poetic story accessible, but it just doesn't work this way for me.  There are melodies and then there are stories, and if you want both, you've got to compromise a little.  Not that this "story" even makes sense when I listen to it.

"This Year" by Hurricane Bells.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Fri 10 Jan 2014, 10:40 pm

7/10. The vocalist had an interestingly deep voice. The "ohh"-ing in the background was a bit annoying at first, but I kind of liked it by the end of the song.

"Livin' on a Prayer" by Bon Jovi.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Fri 10 Jan 2014, 11:20 pm

5.5/10.  The parts where the guitar was more bizarre in the verses nearer the beginning (metallic and chorus-laden?) were very interesting, even if repetitive, hence why the song gets above a middle score.  But of course the vocals and synths are uselessly generic.  And that's about all there is to it.

"Rising Flood" by the Shore.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Fri 10 Jan 2014, 11:50 pm

Well that was difficult to find.

6/10. Nice guitar, and nice emotion from the vocalist. I enjoyed the "flow" of the song. 

"Summer Breeze" by Seals & Crofts.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Sat 11 Jan 2014, 4:33 pm

2/10.  Surprisingly I've heard this before.  Every single instrument is flat and watery and I really can't say anything else about that.  It has a tune, but... it just isn't appealing in any other way.

"Omaha" by Counting Crows.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Sun 12 Jan 2014, 10:24 pm

4.5/10. I didn't like the way the vocalist stretched certain words out (i.e. "turn your ticket iiiiiiiiiiiiin"). There are cases in which that works, but in this case I think there must have been a more artful way to keep the lyrics in sync with the beat. Other than that... it wasn't bad, but it wasn't impressive. The word-stretching and vague country-ish sound were the only things that stood out to me. I will say that it strikes me as rather nice that someone wrote a song about Omaha despite the potential nefariousness of its residents.

"Losing My Religion" by R.E.M.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Sun 12 Jan 2014, 11:45 pm

5/10.  It's not as if it's bad, but nothing changes in it.  All the instruments blend into one sustained sound that would be interesting were there anything else there.  Basic strumming, a strictly 4/4 beat, and plain words just don't do it for me anymore.

"Three Seed" by Silversun Pickups.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:02 pm

8/10. I like this one; I was actually listening to it while working on scholarship breadness yesterday morning/afternoon. It's difficult to isolate exactly why I like it... It's just sort of mellow and has an unusual sound. I like the many layers of sound, especially the low-pitched guitar woven through the song (bass guitar? is that what bass guitar is? what is bass guitar? my musical knowledge is abysmal. XP). It's a nice contrast with the sort of breathy vocals.

"Where Are You Going" by the Dave Matthews Band.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:22 pm

(Yes, that's bass, haha.)

7/10.  I remember I used to like this one.  All the audible instruments (guitar and what I assume is keyboards) are awfully high, so there's not much depth to the thing as a whole, even in the vocals.  The whole composition just sort of floats on the surface, not in the good way.  I always liked the chromatic quality to the chorus, though, and that's most of my rating right there.

"Waiting For The Sun" by the Shore.  :P
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:47 pm

7/10. Those LYRICS, man. It gets points just for those lyrics. Otherwise... nice sound, vocals weren't bad, I think I'll end up listening to it again.

"Waiting For The Sun" by the Doors. XP
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Mon 13 Jan 2014, 11:56 pm

6/10.  It's actually not bad, but it just has a very contained sound, as if it could've all been done with a couple of keyboards in an empty room.  For all I know, it was.  I like that it's distorted, but it doesn't feel very imaginative...

"Diamond Eyes" by Deftones.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Tue 14 Jan 2014, 7:18 pm

5/10. I liked the strength of the vocals, if not the occasional shrieks. The heavy electric guitar (no, I don't know the word for that particular sound) didn't do anything for me. Perhaps I would like this if I was in a different mood... Or Perhaps Not.

"Pale Green Things" by the Mountain Goats.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Tue 14 Jan 2014, 11:16 pm

5.2/10.  The choppy looping acoustic guitar was fine, though nothing special and unnecessarily repetitive as one might expect.  Less suitable were the vocals, which just didn't seem right for singing in general.  And the strings... I wish people wouldn't feel compelled to add strings all the time, though in this case, it's the only interesting thing despite the superfluousness of strings in general.

"The Mall and Misery" by Broken Bells.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Wed 15 Jan 2014, 11:20 pm

8.05/11.5. In the intro, the gradual buildup of sound that abruptly changed to a completely different sound (great description, I know) was interesting. I also liked the chorused vocals.

"Beautiful Day" by U2.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Thu 16 Jan 2014, 3:20 pm

6.8/10.  I used to listen to this a lot, actually.  I'm not fond of the synths from the intro and sometimes throughout;the light overdrive (I think?) and various spots of delay are nice, especially in the choruses; the clean bridge is not my favorite and seems vaguely preachy.  Vocals are fine but not great.  The end is sudden and I feel like they should've made that rotary effect a bit louder.

"No Complaints" by Beck.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Thu 16 Jan 2014, 10:20 pm

6/10. It was well-done, the vocals were well-sung, and the instrumentals were well-played, but... I just couldn't get into it.

"The Dangling Conversation" by Simon & Garfunkel.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Thu 16 Jan 2014, 11:30 pm

7.2/10.  It's actually very delicate and nice with the arpeggiation and (properly-executed) harmonies.  It would merit an 8-9 if it didn't have such heavy-handed addition of orchestral swells, which are a foolish touch.  Good song though.

"Glass Arrows" by Circa Survive.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Thu 16 Jan 2014, 11:56 pm

5.9/10. The outro was really cool and there was a CHILDREN'S CHOIR (I am fond of children's choirs). However, no matter how much I try to like the style of vocals they use... I just can't. XP

"Copperline" by James Taylor.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Sat 18 Jan 2014, 9:50 pm

5/10.  With the strings-like opening I was expecting a stronger guitar line to come in.  I did not appreciate the synths (and to a smaller extent, the actual strings) the way they were used in this song; the drums were uninspired 4/4 fare as usual.  Of course the vocals were distinctive, and the guitar was fine enough, but it wasn't great.

"Suitcase" by Circa Survive.  Cryptic
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Sat 18 Jan 2014, 11:28 pm

7/10. The official music video for this is... rather disturbing. XP I liked this song's vocals much more than those of this thread's previous Circa Survive song. They were smoother and impressively emotional. The instrumentals were well-done, mellow and interestingly distorted, though they didn't stand out to me as much as the vocals. A nice song overall, though I do not recommend the music video.

"Maya" by Peter Buffett. (Link here. Yes, we used to sell the album this is from at the store. No, I do not consider this "proper" Native American music.)
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Mon 27 Jan 2014, 11:46 pm

7/10, not bad at all.  It has that weird type of pseudo-American flute line, which becomes rather too synthy by 3/5 of the way through, but given that it doesn't pretend to be anything but atmosphere music, I didn't mind overmuch.  Nothing groundbreaking but it doesn't have anything that I dislike, so I suppose I must like it fine.

"Busy Bees" by Silversun Pickups.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum