Teen Homeschool Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate the Song Above You

+3
Eppie
Starry
Sarent
7 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Rate the Song Above You - Page 2 Empty Rate the Song Above You

Post by Sarent Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Okay, so the idea for this topic is simple (and also a ripped-off forum game, but whatever).

Numerically rate the song posted above you, and give a brief reason for your rating. Then put a song (i.e. its name, you can't append an actual song) at the end of your post, and the next person will rate that one.

A few additional guidelines:

• If the song you post is particularly obscure, it's recommended you suggest where to look for it, or that you give a link.
  • No reposting a song you've posted before unless it's been 5 months or more since you last posted it.
  • Base your ratings entirely on the song, and try to avoid bias based on the artist or who posted the song.
  • Listen to the entire song. Find the most complete version you can and follow it through to the end; some have hidden bursts of noise.
  • Don't feel the need to take offense at any ratings! Tastes and listeners are diverse, and so are different takes on the same song.

So off we go. I'll start: "Sticky Thread" by Local Natives.

(Yes, that is a song. Yes, I always start my "Rate the Song..." topics with it. If you don't get the double meaning I suggest thinking about how it relates to a forum. Rate the Song Above You - Page 2 253468018)

Last edited by Sarent on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Rate the Song Above You - Page 2 Empty Re: Rate the Song Above You

Post by Sarent Mon 04 Feb 2013, 11:25 pm

7.5/10. Muse sometimes surprises me, I actually like the slightly-distorted/muted vocals and think they work in this context. The chorus (? as much as I listen to, I don't know my musical terms well) is melodic enough, chiming solo section nice. But though there's layering enough, there's no echo, and the instruments don't seem to make much of an impression (if that makes any sense). From the intro/outro bass to the guitars throughout, everything is distorting but flat, almost muted like the vocals - even the drums.

"Like Eating Glass" by Bloc Party.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Julesies Tue 26 Feb 2013, 12:57 pm

it's actually not that bad.. i'm gonna give it a 6/10. i sometimes get a mood for that kind of rock. but it's also not my favourite.

atlantis by ellie goulding
Julesies
Julesies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Tue 26 Feb 2013, 2:13 pm

2.5/10. It goes melodically enough, even through the whole song, but it's remarkably tinny. I suppose the intention is a high/ethereal sound, but most of the song sounds chokingly whiny and sparse. The beat is also not a draw, and is noticeably weak and uninteresting in the chorus.

"Stories" by Falcon.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Julesies Tue 26 Feb 2013, 3:28 pm

2/10.
not a fan..sorry. the background beat reminds me of "colours" by calvin harris..and i don't like that song. i also really dislike when guys mumble an entire chorus of their song..there was a little bit of electric-ness that i liked about it, however.
hmm let's try "at the bottom of everything" - bright eyes
Julesies
Julesies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Tue 26 Feb 2013, 3:37 pm

5/10. I don't know whether I like the spoken-word intro or not, but they definitely get points for surprising me. It's weird and a little nice that it's actually a backstory. Much of the rest of the song is fairly generic though, accompanied by the band's characteristic bordering-on-weak vocals.

"Parachutes" by Coldplay.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Music_Is_Life Tue 26 Feb 2013, 4:25 pm

7/10

I normally don't care for Coldplay (Or their newer stuff, rather.), but I really liked this particular song. The vocalist's voice matched the mood of the song, and I really liked the guitarist's sliding of the fingerboard, which normally annoys me. It worked in this song.

"Welcome To The Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance
Music_Is_Life
Music_Is_Life
Esteemed Newcomer
Esteemed Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Tue 26 Feb 2013, 4:36 pm

(^Ha, that one was from Parachutes, so not their newer stuff. :P)

7/10. I wasn't sure what to make of the slightly-muffled-sounding rising intro, but it seemed to fit into the scope of things. It was a lively song, quite fun, but the guitars were typically fairly choppy and the simplicity of the general beat wasn't quite made up for by its speed/exuberance. Assuming the version I listened to wasn't just low-quality, the only "wash" of sound in it was also just a lack of precision rather than a deliberate drawing-out.

"Minerva" by Deftones.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Music_Is_Life Tue 26 Feb 2013, 4:52 pm

(Well, that it explains it then!)

8/10

I really liked the clean intro that built into this nice steady beat. The vocals were good to, if not a bit repetitive melody-wise. I think my favorite part of the whole song was the bit of sustain at the end, giving way to the intro that faded out. Very nice.

"The Kill" by 30 Seconds To Mars (Watch a lyric video, the music video chops up the song.)
Music_Is_Life
Music_Is_Life
Esteemed Newcomer
Esteemed Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

8/10. 30 Seconds To Mars always sounds vocally generic to me, but I actually like this song a lot. The arpeggiated rise into the louder, somewhat-more-distorted chorus is quite nice. It is a little flat though, but then I find most things slightly flat.

Somewhat on that note... "Best Kept Secret" by Longwave.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Music_Is_Life Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:11 pm

7/10

Haha, I see what you did there at the end. This song was pretty good. I feel like the guitarist could have layed off of the delay pedal for just a minute, but otherwise I liked it. The chord progression for the bridge/outro was a little outdone, but I liked it. Kind of gave it a darker feel. And for some odd reason, the vocalist reminded me of Patrick Stump just a bit.

So speaking of Fall Out Boy... Thnks fr th Mmrs by Fall Out Boy. The begining of the music video is a little annoying, so if you want to watch a lyric video/audio, I don't blame you.
Music_Is_Life
Music_Is_Life
Esteemed Newcomer
Esteemed Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Tue 26 Feb 2013, 5:17 pm

6/10, I think. I like layered vocals most of the time, but each one of the vocal tracks (?) here seems too strong to go together properly with the others. The flow of the guitars is fairly smooth though throughout, and I appreciate the drums in what I can only call the bridge.

Hmm... "Water in my Hands" by Malory.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Julesies Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

3/10
it was okay. not a fan at all of his voice Rate the Song Above You - Page 2 1036251537 i did like the background guitar though, and the slowness to it. but that weird airy sound that came and went throughout the song was pretty annoying.

sleeping sickness- city and colour Smile
Julesies
Julesies

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:37 pm

5.5/10 or thereabouts. Strong and clear vocals; I don't always want clear vocals but it works for this style. The acoustic guitar is rather metallic and doesn't really flow, though. The song itself mostly seems to just get louder in the chorus rather than changing in sound; it builds, but doesn't necessarily evolve.

"Hold On" by the Shore.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Music_Is_Life Wed 27 Feb 2013, 1:56 pm

6/10

I enjoyed the vocalist's voice, but the guitars kind of gave off a country vibe in the verses (maybe it is country?), and I don't really like country. The chorus was my favorite part, very melodic.

"Face Down" by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Music_Is_Life
Music_Is_Life
Esteemed Newcomer
Esteemed Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Wed 27 Feb 2013, 2:00 pm

Hah, I remember this song... 7.5/10. The guitars choppily chug along for the verse but I still like it, and they smooth out well for bits of the chorus. There are parts of the song where the beat trips over itself nicely, though a lot of the rest is not very interesting. Vocals are melodic enough but generic.

"Invisible Satellites" by Sarah Fimm.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Music_Is_Life Tue 05 Mar 2013, 10:54 pm

7/10

I like the verses, they give off a really dark vibe. The vocalist's voice is really nice and strong. The chorus kind of ruined the effect of the verses in my opinion, but at least there was that darker guitar riff at the begining.

"Not Good Enough For The Truth In Cliche" by Escape The Fate
Music_Is_Life
Music_Is_Life
Esteemed Newcomer
Esteemed Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Wed 06 Mar 2013, 12:46 pm

6.75/10. I liked the muted intro, and really it was an enjoyable song, especially when the guitars were choppiest and/or arpeggiated. It loses points mainly for being something I wouldn't necessarily recognize again; it doesn't seem very distinctive to me, especially the vocals. Essentially a competent song that I'll only remember because I want to, not because it's memorable by itself.

"See You" by Dinosaur Jr.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:34 pm

4/10. Tempo was a bit slow, and the singer's voice ruined it for me. Scratchy or whiny vocals can sound really cool (hence, Bob Dylan), but this guy didn't pull it off.

"Yellow" by Coldplay.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

https://teenhomeschooltalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Sat 09 Mar 2013, 9:43 pm

6.8/10, as I can only partly help liking it. It is melodic, and I've stated somewhere sometime that I'm a sucker for melody. However, the intro/verse guitar and piano parts are fairly flat, and the entire song is quite sappy and so strongly adherent to 4/4 time that even though it makes an impression, it's easy to tire of it. It's ear candy for sure, but like candy it's possible it'd rot something inside me if I listened to it too much.

"Come Back Down" by Greg Laswell and Sara Bareilles.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by moriah5289 Mon 11 Mar 2013, 12:27 pm

pretty awesome :P i luv it i rate it 9/10

ok so now peepz check out this song
max schneider victoria justice maroon 5 medly
elephant elephant
moriah5289
moriah5289

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Mon 11 Mar 2013, 8:43 pm

5/10. Medleys like this are (or should be) clever, and this one seems to me to be. Of course I never liked the original songs though, and despite the extra dimension of two different voices, I can't give much higher of a rating to a blend of songs that were weak to begin with.

"Ghost of Rock 'N Roll" by Mikey Jukebox.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Music_Is_Life Mon 11 Mar 2013, 11:33 pm

10/10 (My first 10 stars, wow! Congrats, Sarent, for getting that honor.)

I loved the distorted instruments, and the vocalists voice. I would definitely listen to this song again.

"Afterlife" by Avenged Sevenfold
Music_Is_Life
Music_Is_Life
Esteemed Newcomer
Esteemed Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Tue 12 Mar 2013, 5:09 pm

5/10. I probably would have liked this more if I was in a different mood. Right now, it's just striking me as being a bit...shriek-y. I did like the violin scattered throughout the song, though.

"Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seger.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:29 am

5/10. You have to give him credit for putting some effort into the vocals, and the guitar isn't uninteresting. It's just choppy, dated (of course), and it doesn't project any atmosphere. Also, it's repetitive (though it doesn't run too long).

"Questions" by Faded Paper Figures.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Wed 13 Mar 2013, 9:53 pm

8.5/10. The female voice talking in the background got on my nerves at first, but it soon grew on me. Recognized (and rather liked) the lyrics. Other than that, not much to say about it. I just liked it. :P

"Mr. Blue Sky" by ELO.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum: