Teen Homeschool Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate the Song Above You

+3
Eppie
Starry
Sarent
7 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Rate the Song Above You - Page 4 Empty Rate the Song Above You

Post by Sarent Mon 07 Jan 2013, 11:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

Okay, so the idea for this topic is simple (and also a ripped-off forum game, but whatever).

Numerically rate the song posted above you, and give a brief reason for your rating. Then put a song (i.e. its name, you can't append an actual song) at the end of your post, and the next person will rate that one.

A few additional guidelines:

• If the song you post is particularly obscure, it's recommended you suggest where to look for it, or that you give a link.
  • No reposting a song you've posted before unless it's been 5 months or more since you last posted it.
  • Base your ratings entirely on the song, and try to avoid bias based on the artist or who posted the song.
  • Listen to the entire song. Find the most complete version you can and follow it through to the end; some have hidden bursts of noise.
  • Don't feel the need to take offense at any ratings! Tastes and listeners are diverse, and so are different takes on the same song.

So off we go. I'll start: "Sticky Thread" by Local Natives.

(Yes, that is a song. Yes, I always start my "Rate the Song..." topics with it. If you don't get the double meaning I suggest thinking about how it relates to a forum. Rate the Song Above You - Page 4 253468018)

Last edited by Sarent on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Rate the Song Above You - Page 4 Empty Re: Rate the Song Above You

Post by Music_Is_Life Mon 06 May 2013, 2:00 pm

6/10. Very folk-y. I like the guitar, and the lyrics are very humorous. It's repetitive, however, and the ending was very abrupt (which I suppose was purposeful.).

"The Bird And The Worm" by The Used
Music_Is_Life
Music_Is_Life
Esteemed Newcomer
Esteemed Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Tue 07 May 2013, 8:29 pm

8/10. My main problem with this song was actually a subjective concern - not often my main complaint - and that'd be the vocals, which I just didn't like that much. :P It's actually quite interesting of a song, though; the fragmentary orchestral-ish intro was nice, and eventually the song soars to an acceptable degree. I thought the production seemed a bit muddy though (hopefully not just the version I listened to).

"Substitution" by Silversun Pickups.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinman219 Tue 07 May 2013, 9:31 pm

7/10. It was a pretty good song! However I think that the guitar part was a little too repetitive. I found the vocalist's voice very unique and for the most part good (for most of the song), but I found that the way he sang "sorry" was very annoying. All in all it sounded nice though.

"Crystallize" by Lindsey Stirling
muffinman219
muffinman219
Aeromuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Tue 07 May 2013, 10:27 pm

6/10. The violin was well-smoothed, but the drum machine makes up for it by being obnoxiously obvious. I'm indifferent to dubstep as a genre but other than the drum machine, the electronic sounds are a neat choice. Overall a pretty solid song, but the problem ends up being that it's somehow not low-key enough to be ambient but not up enough to be memorable. I enjoyed it but I wouldn't go back to it.

"Helplessness Blues" by Fleet Foxes.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Sat 11 May 2013, 9:36 pm

17/20. The strong, chorused vocals were fantastic, as were the lyrics. The switch from acoustic guitar to a different instrument (not sure what) halfway through was a bit odd, but kept the song from getting monotonous. I would listen to this again.

"Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

https://teenhomeschooltalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Sat 11 May 2013, 10:48 pm

7/10. Very pleasant if slow and rather unexciting. Acoustic-y. I suppose it's balladic? There's so little to say about it, and I doubt I'll go back to it (possibly ever), but it wasn't a waste of time while it was on.

"Semi Automatic" by the Boxer Rebellion.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Sat 03 Aug 2013, 10:51 pm

6/10. The guitar was somewhat unusual. It and the vocals combined to make a soothing but unmemorable song.

"Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. Cryptic
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Mon 05 Aug 2013, 2:33 pm

6/10.  It's honestly not that bad, but it hasn't aged well.  The intro chords are obviously on a keyboard with synthesizer capability, the distortion on the guitar(s?) seems inexpert.  It's not great, but it can be enjoyed for what it's worth.  Though, of course, my final dig at it would be -- who knows if it's worth much.  I wouldn't go back to it, but given that it apparently gets played often, I guess I wouldn't need to actively listen to it again.

"I Felt Free" by Circa Survive.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Wed 28 Aug 2013, 10:27 pm

6/10. Not bad, but still not my thing. The vocals seemed rough and overly dramatic. It could be that I'd enjoy it more in a different mood -- perhaps I'll go back to it if I remember to do so. :P

"Paint It Black" by the Rolling Stones.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Wed 28 Aug 2013, 10:38 pm

4.5/10, not that bad but too repetitive to be good.  Lyrically there're some changes, but instrumentally there's little in the way of that.  There really isn't that much to it... the drums keep on pulsing, the guitars keep on clattering, and that's about it.  I give it a rating of "there".

"Coffee & TV" by Blur.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by muffinman219 Fri 30 Aug 2013, 7:01 pm

4/10, The song wasn't that bad, but it was (to me anyway) kind of boring. I say this because the song kind of went on and on and ended the way it started, it didn't end with me feeling like "wow, that was a great song!" (if that makes any sense). The vocalist was pretty unique so that's a plus.

"The Unwinding Cable Car" by Anberlin
muffinman219
muffinman219
Aeromuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Fri 30 Aug 2013, 8:28 pm

6/10 at the most.  I expected a better expansion upon the arpeggiation/picking of the intro than the rather gentle strumming that followed.  The vocalist was nice, but I don't care for lots of "la la la la..."  Make up some lyrics, man.  Overall a bit too soft, in volume and in content.

"Hummer" by the Smashing Pumpkins.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Sun 01 Dec 2013, 10:48 pm

6/10. I feel like I spent most of the song waiting for it to begin. The guitar was interesting at first, but it just became monotonous. The vocals were completely overwhelmed by the instrumentals.

However, it gets points for not being a Christmas song. XP

"New Year's Day" by U2.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Sun 01 Dec 2013, 11:05 pm

6.5/10.  War generally has seemed like a pretty sparse album for me, and this song is no exception.  Unfortunately the rather prominent plucked bass adds no real interest, and the distant midtone wailing of the vocals is not terribly endearing.  Not bad melody-wise, if dated (and again, sparse), but the supporting vocals and rhythm section aren't much to speak of.

"Strange Attractor" by Animal Kingdom.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Tue 03 Dec 2013, 10:06 pm

7/10. Not bad. Bit repetitive. Had an echoey, dreamlike quality I found enjoyable. The music video was freaky a bit odd.

"A Horse With No Name" by America. Cryptic
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Wed 04 Dec 2013, 8:43 pm

1.5/10.  The practically monotone vocals and strummed guitar gave not a dusky or floating tone but a flat quality to the entire song.  Peculiarly weak percussion and choppy bass failed to overcome the one overwhelming flaw - a lack of a remotely interesting melody.

"Is and Is and Is" by White Denim.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Sat 14 Dec 2013, 11:28 pm

7/10. I listened to this the day the last entry was posted, and I still remember it! That's pretty remarkable for a song I've only listened to once. It's a nice song, melodic and sort of soothing. I think I may go listen to it again when I finish writing this. :P

"Imagine" by John Lennon.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Sun 15 Dec 2013, 7:05 pm

7.5/10.  It's a nice song, if very simple.  The vocals can be a bit thin, but I really just don't have much to say about it.  :P  I suppose the piano is repetitive.

"Imagine" by A Perfect Circle.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Sun 15 Dec 2013, 8:28 pm

7/10. Wow. While Lennon's original sounds optimistic and slightly wistful, this sounds... vaguely threatening. Definitely a worthwhile re-imagining, but I will always prefer the original. :P

"I Will Wait" by Mumford & Sons.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Sun 15 Dec 2013, 9:18 pm

2.5/10.  They seem to be going the pop-folk route for sure, and the excessive major harmonies and metallic strumming, combined with the surefire saccharine repetition that the chorus embodies, become too much - certainly for me.

"Seasick" by Silversun Pickups.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Fri 20 Dec 2013, 6:05 pm

8/10. Really cool intro. Kind of sounded like distorted electronic church bells in places. The rest was a bit of a letdown after that intro, but it grew on me.

"Dream On" by Aerosmith.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Fri 20 Dec 2013, 11:29 pm

3/10.  Pretty much none of the instruments have any depth of sound, coming across as flat and tinny.  Even the slight echo in the vocals doesn't seem right.  The guitar would be perfectly fine other than that, I think, but I just can't get past the sound quality of the original.  It's also extremely simple, and in this case it's not a good thing for it.

"Sick Muse" by Metric.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Sun 22 Dec 2013, 12:01 am

6/10. Lightly melodic, vaguely enjoyable, not memorable. (Or maybe I just feel like that about everything right now? I should check back some other time.)

"More Than a Feeling" by Boston.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Sun 29 Dec 2013, 3:26 pm

5/10.  Not bad (other than the vocals, which are generic), but sounds immensely dated.  Weak arpeggiation... guitar solos that are hard to tell from the vocals... it could've been ~3.00min. long instead of ~4.75min.

"Tiny Vessels" by Death Cab for Cutie.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Tue 07 Jan 2014, 9:47 pm

7/10. I loved the quiet guitar background interrupted by periodic bursts of more-dramatic sound. The instrumentals did somewhat drown out the vocals in places, which prevented me from giving this a higher rating.

"Royals" by Lorde.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum: