Teen Homeschool Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

National Parks

3 posters

Go down

National Parks Empty National Parks

Post by Starry Tue 12 Mar 2013, 3:29 pm

Which national (or state) parks (or monuments) have you been to? Any you particularly liked? Any you haven't yet been to, but want to visit?
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

https://teenhomeschooltalk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

National Parks Empty Re: National Parks

Post by Music_Is_Life Mon 06 May 2013, 2:16 pm

My dad being an outdoorsy/history buff guy, we go all over the place. We've been to many state (maybe national?) parks, and I can't recall one that I particularly liked over the other. They were all good.
We've also been to many monuments. Most (if not all) DC monuments, I've been to New York (Times Square), so I don't know if there are any places of interest or anything there.
The one place I have not gone that I want to go and see is The Statue of Liberty.
Music_Is_Life
Music_Is_Life
Esteemed Newcomer
Esteemed Newcomer

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Mon 13 May 2013, 7:19 pm

Nice that you've been to the DC monuments -- I'd love to go there, but we never go any farther east than Tennessee. Also, I think I'd count Times Square itself as a place of interest, even if it isn't a government-defined one. :P

I've been to a number of national/state parks/monuments/other things, mostly in the Great Plains and southwest. I don't have a favorite, though I especially liked Zion National Park (in Utah), Goblin Valley (in Utah), the Catwalk National Recreation Trail in the Gila National Forest (in New Mexico), and El Malpais National Monument (also in New Mexico).
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Tue 14 May 2013, 2:19 pm

I've been to quite a lot of these kinds of places, so with some looks at maps, I've written up all the ones I remember. I won't go into details on them unless asked, 'cause there are a lot.

Hidden for list-ness and length. Definitely not in any order within categories.

Spoiler:

This, of course, is just the largest "park-ish" stuff. I've been to a whole lot of other areas, especially forests, designated at state/national level. I might come back to post about all of those later, but I'll just mention a few for now...

• Catalina S.P. in Arizona was a very nice place, good trails and signage (and more importantly a great area to see Rufous-winged Sparrow).
  • Cape Henlopen S.P. in Delaware is a pretty nice beach area.
  • I am totally not going to advertise for Yellowwood State Forest in Indiana.
  • Crane Creek S.P. in Ohio is very crowded in May.

Also, Canada has a lot of nice parks and other places I'm forgetting to mention in this post (next time...).

I have been through Washington D.C. but (heretically) did not stop and did not spend time at any of the monuments. Also, those would be a different kind of monument. :P

... Oh yeah, and I won't even go into all the National Wildlife Refuges yet. Those and "general places of interest" would take up too much space here... this is already getting long.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Starry Thu 13 Jun 2013, 9:08 pm

off-topic:

I've said this before (probably several times), but you've really seen a lot of the country. XP The only comment I have (that I remember) at the moment is that I agree with your opinion of Catalina S.P. My family camped there during the Tucson gem show one year, and it made a large impression on me. Perhaps it's not the most impressively majestic park, but it's still special somehow.

Since we're totally not advertising, I totally won't advertise for the Northern Highlands-American Legion State Forest, nor for the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, both of which are in Wisconsin. Wink.
Starry
Starry
Glorious Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sarent Mon 01 Jul 2013, 2:24 pm

off-topic:

I suppose I have seen quite a bit of the country, though I still feel like I haven't seen much because I haven't been away from the continent.  :P

And of course I wouldn't listen to any advertising even if there were any, as I certainly wouldn't go through Wisconsin or anything for any reason.  That would be inconceivable.
Sarent
Sarent
Arcmanager

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum